Monday 2 April 2012

It's getting complicated

Six months ago life was all about Ben 10 and which alien was the coolest....fast forward to today and my seven year old is a much more complex fellow.

The things that make me most proud of him - he is sensitive, clever, competitive and bright are also the things that make it very hard work to be his Mummy sometimes. Life has suddenly taken a serious turn for him - he wants to be the best, he is doing well at school and this makes the teachers push him more (a good thing) but then makes him realise that he could do better and he beats himself up about it.

He LOVES football. Loves to play and loves to watch too - he and his Dad share a passion for Manchester Utd and he soaks up the stats on Sky Sports News like it's oxygen. When he plays he gives it his all - again he realises he can always be better and is never content with 2nd place or hitting the post. His drive to be the best makes him sad and gets him frustrated. I can say a million times over, "it's the taking part that counts" but he doesn't believe that - he wants to be a winner.

My eldest son is his Dad reincarnated and I know that his confidence and drive has helped him to achieve a great career and a great attitude to life in general. Whereas my lack of confidence and excruciating shyness as a child (which thank goodness didn't follow me into adulthood) sees me question almost every decision I make......I'd rather he be confident and self assured and I kind of know he'll be fine but seeing my serious 7 year old withdraw because he doesn't feel he's done his best is heart breaking.

I imagine 7 years ago when he was a gurgling 4-month old and also imagine how life will be in another 7 years time....I wonder how complex a teenager he will grow into?

1 comment:

  1. These are the bits the books can't prepare us for aren't they? Already the cotton wool is off and our sweet, funny and sensitive children are exposed to the realities of life. I want to wrap mine back up and wait until they're 40!!

    ReplyDelete